Dec 28, 2006

A Big Step

Today was cochlear implant surgery day. Jon, Matthew & I were on the road early this a.m., heading to Johns Hopkins. (Danny stayed overnight at a friend's.) There was a beautiful pink sunrise overhead, which we interpreted as a sign of good things to come.

It was a long day, but everyone from the surgeon on down was extremely kind and caring. The actual surgery lasted only about 1 1/2 hours, but there was a lot of sitting around and waiting ahead of time - and then it took a long time for Matthew to wake up from anesthesia and feel well enough to leave. By 4:00, we were in the car driving home.

The incision must completely heal over the next four weeks before the implant can be turned on. For the next month, the implanted ear will be completely deaf and Matthew will have to get by on one ear only. So, in the near term, things will be harder before they get easier.

On the ride home, Matthew was tired and, somewhat in pain, but in a very expressive and expansive mood. While Jon drove, I wrote down Matthew's thoughts. Here they are:

"I feel an excitement I didn't anticipate, boundless wonder I haven't felt before. In terms of my hearing, my story has been a closed door, unchanging. I haven't been used to looking up, being inspired. Now, I'm feeling a great feeling.

I was so scared before [the surgery]. But then, I decided: Just cut the crap. Just do it. Now I feel I can choose how I'm going to live from now on. Things are going to change for the better. I won't have to use all my energy trying to make them better.

I'm not thinking about the music right now - just feeling happy, better and ready. We have been planning this for so long. I can't even imagine how it's going to be when they turn on the implant.

I'm finally seeing new light. Now that I feel this way, there's no way it can be worse. I can mold it the way I want. For a year, I haven't had anything to work with. At least now, there's something. It may not be an actual foundation, but at least it's a great big pile of bricks that I can turn into something.

I can't wait to turn the implant on. It will be the craziest experience of my life - like being reborn. I feel we're at the start of an adventure."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am hearing new things already just reading about Matthew's new beginnings! Love, Debbie

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear the good news from you. It's the best present for this new year. Love, Araya